Process & Design Services
interior DECOR and design process
We love creating projects that reflect our clients' unique personalities and lifestyles. To do this, we follow our tried and true 5 phase process for either interior decor projects or interior design projects for remodels or new construction.
1) Programming - During our initial interview, we discuss the pros and cons of your current space as well as your design goals for your new space. We establish your budget, scope of work, and preferred timeline. Next, you provide inspiration images of rooms or objects that reflect your preferred aesthetics and feel.
2) Schematic Design- At this phase we filter the Program through our design lens and present you with initial ideas to achieve your goal. More specifically, we develop the style concept, measure your existing space, draft initial floorplans and curate preliminary selections of finishes, fixtures and furniture. We present these initial ideas and selections at our first design meeting so that we may further edit based on your feedback and preferences.
3) Design Development- After approval of the Schematic Design concept and layout, we proceed with developing the full design by continuing to select finishes, fixtures and furniture. Depending on the scope and size of the project, we may meet with you several times to present the further refined selections and drawings. We guide you through this process starting with the items that have the largest impact and hone in on details.
4) Construction Documents – Once the Design has been approved, we finalize all construction documents and begin purchasing items. The final drawings have details for all tradespeople and vendors so that our design is executed as intended. When requested, we act on your behalf in obtaining estimates from contractors.
5) Contract Administration – During construction and while you wait for your furniture to arrive, our goal is to lead our clients through what is often a difficult and disruptive process. We advocate on your behalf if problems arise and make sure that your needs are met. We assist in the creation of a construction punch list and/or oversee the installation of your furniture, art and accessories.
Furniture, art, accessories, lighting and window treatment selection for private homes, condominiums, new construction or apartments.
For each decor project we begin by working with our client to develop a custom concept based on their style and personality. We source all furniture and decor items necessary to complete your project and present our recommendations at the design meeting with a scale drawing of the proposed furniture layout options. After all items are approved, we begin the purchasing process and oversee shipping, tracking and final installation.
New Construction Interior Design - Commercial and Residential:
Design of cabinetry and built-in items, selection of interior finishes, plumbing and lighting as well as the creation of AutoCAD construction document details.
By partnering with your preferred architect and/or contractor we draft the remaining details needed for construction of your residential or commercial project. We select all of the interior paint, counters, tile, flooring, plumbing, lighting and appliances and draft these into your construction plans, elevations and details. As construction occurs, we act as the go-to for questions as needed while we are also available to check on the project to ensure that it has been built as we intended and as you approved. See behind the scenes of a commercial new construction project here.
Remodel Interior Design:
Design of layout and built-in items, selection of all construction finishes, plumbing and lighting as well as the creation of all AutoCAD construction documents.
With our remodel projects, we select all of the items and create all of the construction drawings necessary for contractor bidding and construction. Once you have approved of the design with all of the finishes, fixtures and appliances, we assemble a complete construction packet so that you may ask contractors to bid your project. After receiving the construction bids, clients select their preferred contractor and Michelle Dirkse Interior Design acts as the go-to for all design-related questions that may arise throughout.
Wallpaper, Fabric and Hand Knotted Rug Collection:
Artistic fabric and wallpaper by the yard as well as custom rugs.
Through collaboration with local and international artists, Michelle has created an all new textiles line focused on scale, pattern and texture. Each pattern is made from original artwork.